Guide - A Crawling Chaos

Guide - A Crawling Chaos

Postby Bumbo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:33 pm

Many people got stuck with this new quest from the Dragon's Spine (also known as the Epic Flute Quest) so here's a guide to help you progress. This quest is bugged and the progression is different from most other quests, that's the main reason people can get stuck.

SPOILER: This post contains spoilers about this quest chain. Do not read it if you want to do it by yourself! (note that I will try not to spoil the story, only the main steps to progress)

This quest is one of the most interesting chain quest in the game (imho) along with some of the 11 sacred weapons quests. It's linked to many other things you have achieved in previous quests and encounters.

As I said, the progression here is different: you need to advance the main quest by doing actions and other quests that may not appear to be related. Each side quest only pops when you reach a certain point on the main quest. That's why you sometimes see new quests from NPCs you met 5 minutes ago.

Phase Zero: Get the Background

- Dying Camel, entrance: gives quest "A Foreshadowing Encounter" (find the owner of the Camel, Tiandal). This enables the following quest:

- Alanza, north camp: "The Snakes Who Walk" (inspect captured Serpent Man)
Gives the thrown weapon Commander's Hurlbat as reward. Enables the Messenger encounter.

Phase I

- Messenger, (1204;823): "The Crawling Chaos" (speak to the Swarthy Man)
This is the main quest. You need to run around the area to trigger a small cutscene. The quest is now on Phase I. Talk to the Messenger to start:

Phase II: Dancing To the Pipes

- Jamila, north camp: "Deception in the Dunes" (find Tawar)
After Tawar is found, you start:

Phase III: Impossible Petals

Report to Tempest.
- Tempest, north camp: "A Shattered Truth" (destroy tablets)

- Khaa, south camp: "The Axe, the Tree, the Bloom That Could Not Be" (pick the axe and cut a tree)

When you cut the whitered tree, you start:

Phase IV: Scales Swimming In the Skin

- Tachus, north camp: "The Double-Walking Tempest" (travel to the Palace of Cetriss)

- Jamila, north camp: "Lies, Lies, Crawling Lies" (meet the Messenger again)

- Excavator Guard, (1338;513): "Unshrouded Secrets" (talk to Ankh-Ausar)
Killing the guard starts:

Phase V: Mask of the Tempest

- Ankh-Ausar, south camp: "The Serpent Beneath the Skin" (the secret phrase)
Killing Tempest starts:

Phase VI: Lies on Lips Familiar

Try the secret phrase on Alanza, report to Ankh-Ausar (which unlocks a quest for the Sepulcher of the Wyrm, not needed here). This starts:

Phase VII: The Shinning Gift

- Alanza, north camp: "The Seals of Cetriss" (get the tablet to unlock the 3rd seal of Cetriss)

Enable the cutscenes in game options and play the flute. This starts:

Phase VIII: Into the Mouths of Madness

Report to Alanza. Once done, you may face the bug: you need to travel to the Messenger. Something should trigger when you approach him. If it's not the case, then exit the Dragon's Spine for a while (30mn and if it still fails, 24h - according to a GM). I went outside of Dragon's Spine for 30mn and nothing happened. I logged off (switch character) and after a while when I was back on this toon, the quest triggered.

Complete the quest and get your reward!

Conclusion

Once you have finished this quest and you walk out the Messenger's lair, you get a new quest that gives more about the story plus a mini Jiang Shi ring (blue). If you teleport, jump down from the cliff, etc. you will miss this quest (just go back to the Messenger)
Bumbo

Bumbo (80)
Belcatso (80)
Cilaos (80)
Loading (80)
Mafat (80)
Salazie (80)
Coming (80)
Tiamai (80)
Qubits (47)

A Crawling Chaos - Facts and Spoilers

Postby Bumbo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:09 pm

SPOILER: Do not read this before you complete the quest!

- The Messenger encounter only starts if you have done the 2 prequests.

- Tiandal hates the Swarthy Man (to say the least). He gives us quite a few names for this "entity" (see below)

- Alanza gives the quest "the Zingaran Scholar" which is an update of the old quest "The Stygian Scholar" that could only be obtained after you complete the Scrolls of Ankh-Ausar. If you have completed the old quest before, your journal is now updated to read "The Zingaran Scholar". Completing this quest requires the use of fragments from House of Crom. It doesn't really make sense against the quest objectives, but without this limitation that would be 3 free expertize points (go Dragon's Spine on fresh 80, get the quest, travel to the House of Crom, click on walls, get 3 expertize points …)

- On phase V you may notice quest objectives on the map at location (1121;495) - Serpent's King and Messenger would be lying there, on an unreachable mountain. Actually, there is a moment in the game when those two guys meet. That's when you play the flute and see the cutscene. We can suppose that those characters we see on the map are the characters who "played" the cutscene. Developers may have forgotten to remove them ^^
Any other explanation is welcomed.

- This main quest introduce a new big artifact, the Shining Trapezohedron. The Messenger gives some information about other big artifacts in the game.

- The phrase "Ka nama kaa lajerama" comes from Tamil language and means: "Thou shalt kneel before the Lady In Red". Using this phrase on Tictoc - the flexible multi-skin man - can lead to unexpected results.

- Ankh-Ausar, the famous over-intelligent researcher, makes the following statement: "Now I have said the phrase and you have said it too, so we know we are both humans". Your avatar, as dumb as a pack of bytes in a computer's memory, repeats the same thing to Khaa. Very smart to lure people saying this phrase isn't it? No it is not. Ankh-Ausar also stated that the serpent men cannot hear this phrase nor pronounce it! Which means that the second Ankh-Ausar said the phrase for the first time, he knows our avatar is not a serpent but we also know that Ankh-Ausar is not a serpent too. Actually, only one people is required to pronounce the phrase to be sure there's no serpents around ^^

- Once you kill the last boss, an invisible object appears with a question mark on it. No idea what it can be.

- At some point, the Messenger says: "Some men have two faces, some have a thousand". He probably refers to himself. Tiandal and him gave us a lot of names for this messenger. Here's what I wrote down (I miss one): the Messenger, the Message, the Swarthy Man, Spoken Contagion, Pollinator Bat, Vampire Squid, Trickster, Lie in the Desert, Unliving Word of Omnipotent Mollusks, the message unutterable, the vagabond devil, the sum of all skulduggery, the thief in the night, the peddler, the Crawling Chaos … Nyarlathotep!
Bumbo

Bumbo (80)
Belcatso (80)
Cilaos (80)
Loading (80)
Mafat (80)
Salazie (80)
Coming (80)
Tiamai (80)
Qubits (47)